Mr Praveen Vinchu sir, a primary teacher using interactive board effectively and making learners English friendly..

Date- 02nd April 2019

Mr Praveen Vinchu sir, a primary teacher using interactive board effectively and making learners English friendly..

Today I got a great opportunity to visit a class of Praveen sir who has been working as a primary teacher at zpps Pimpalkuthe tisare, cluster-Rajapur, Tal-yeola. 
Pimpalkuthe is 18km away from Yeola and 102km from Nashik. Many times Praveen sir invited me to visit his school, but I avoided due to my busy schedule. Last Saturday he called me and requested me to visit his classroom. This time I decided to meet him. In spite of hot temperature and long distance I met his students, interacted with them and had fun, too.
I set out at 7:30am and reached Yeola at 9:30. I was accompanied by Prashant Shinde sir. He is one of the best teacher, Tag coordinator, spoken English language ambassador and has created positive atmosphere of ELT in Yeola. He has been encouraging teachers to use English language teaching skills through tag meetings. And he has motivated lots of teachers to do well in their classrooms. 
We both went to Pimpalkuthe on bike and reached at 11:15. The school consists grades 1-4. Students of Grades 1 and 4 sit in one classroom and students of Grades 2 and 3 sit in the other classroom. One class has interactive board while the other has LED TV. 
2 teachers work in this school. Mr Sandeep Gatkal is a teacher and also works as a Headmaster. He is a class teacher of grade 1 and 4. Mr Praveen Vinchu sir is a class teacher of grade 2 and 3. 
  
We entered in the school, and directly went in the class of Praveen sir.  Students felt shy first. They hesitated to speak with me. I thought that they weren't talkative. So I decided to conduct few warmer activities. I made a circle. I told them to sit in a circle and asked one student to bring a ball. Using ball students introduced themselves. I also introduced myself. I built a rapport with them within some time. 
Activity 1: 
( Introduce yourself )
Students spoke about themselves.
I'm Shital. I'm in 3rd Std. My class teacher's name is Vinchu sir.

Students were passing the ball and they were telling their names. Some students made lot of sentences. 
I told them to do another activity.
Activity 2:
( Introduce yourself and your friend, standing left to you. Use ' I'm....and he/she is...' )
In this activity students introduced themselves and their friends too. 
Students were easily speaking and using 'he is and she is.'  Some students were helping each other, if they made mistakes.

After that 2 students introduced the whole class students. 
All the students are able to use I'm,He is and she is. 
Praveen is  a tag teacher. He attended 2-3 tag meetings. He had also attended spoken English training. When I asked Praveen sir to conduct a lesson, he started with jump left and jump right activity. He lined up students, gave instructions about the game. Then he showed flashcards and asked questions, "Do you like orange?" Students who like it, they jump to their right side and who don't like, they jump left. He also consolidated by getting their responses. Students tried well. They could use, " I like...and I don't like.."
Praveen has done lot of practice of questions and answers. He asked many questions rapidly. 
How many days are in a year?
How many months are there in a year? 
Which month comes after June?
Which month comes before March ?
How many days are there in a month/week/Jan/July/Chaitra/Vaishakh?
Which month comes between November and January?

Students were answering all the questions. As they have memorized, and practised regularly, they could answer correctly. It seemed little bit parroting. But students having no English language background, it can be accepted. 
I suggested him to do slowly and make them sit in pairs and groups, so that they will try to ask and answer simultaneously. 
Students have enough exposure to practice language. 

I was very  surprised when Praveen sir started using interactive board and his learners were using it very easily. 
They could draw shapes and  colour them. They could select and use different tools from the board. They could choose pages, write on it, solve problems of math, write numbers and read. 

One student came and he selected a circle. He drew circle and put a dot inside at the centre and gave name in Marathi, "  वर्तुळ केंद्र- अ" , the  others drew "व्यास, जीवा, त्रिज्या". 
Teacher asked to write numbers on the board.
He told to write, 15 अब्ज 13 हजार 2
A student came near the board and wrote correctly: 15,00,00,13,002

Amol could write 
45 खर्व 14
45,00,00,00,00,014

One student was asked to write 
4 अब्ज 4 लक्ष 4 हज़ार 4
He wrote that number. 4,00,04,04,004

They could give problems to others. And they had fun on it. They were shown pictures of animals and asked to describe it. They made simple sentences easily.
For example,
A cow.
This is a cow.
A cow has 4 legs.
It has 2 ears.
It has only one tail.
It gives milk.
It is white in colour.
It eats green grass.
Praveen sir is very well known about realia. When I asked him,"What is realia?" 
He said,"Real objects like chair, table, board, projector, fan etc."
He conducted an activity based on realia. He instructed Ss to make a line and stand in a line. He put a chair in front of the line. And told them to describe the chair in one or two lines. Each has to make at least one sentence. 
They made following sentences:
A chair has 4 legs. 
It has 2 arms.
It is white.
I sit in chair.
I pull the chair.
I push the chair.
I pick up the chair. 

I noticed following things about them:  
Students are able to 
  1. Describe familiar real objects like table, chair, board in one or two lines 
  2. Introduce themselves and their friends 
  3. Respond to familiar questions
  4. Use after and before while telling months 
  5. make lines and play games like jump left and jump right, sit in circle and interact
  6. Work in collaboration 
  7. Use action verbs like pick up, push, pull, write, clean
  8. Understand the difference between his and her, he and she and use them appropriately
  9. Draw a circle and its parts and name them in Marathi.
  10. Draw and write on interactive board
  11. Write numbers upto kharv, padm and read properly
  12. Involve in role play activities

When I talked to Praveen sir about financial condition of the school, he shared that villagers have donated Rs 1,36,301/-. And people are always ready to give more money for their children. Even light bill is also paid collaboratively. 
Due to his positive energy, and quality education, he is successful to receive such a huge community contribution. Mr Sandeep Gatkal, coteacher always supports him. Even these two teachers have donated money for the well being of the school. It's really amazing and charming to know  about progress of this school. 
A teacher can be the best supporter and life changer for the rural children. It has been proved by Praveen Vinchu sir.

I gave my best wishes for his continuous efforts and also suggested few areas of improvement.
We, both Prashant and me interacted with teachers and learners, conducted few activities, learnt how to use interactive board and eventually, said goodbye.






Regards
Ashok chavan
State Academic Resource Person (SARP)
DiecpD, Nashik



Comments

Popular Posts