Teacher Online Professional Development project (TOPDI)

Forum discussion
1. ME,now and then.....
Good morning everyone. I am Ashok. I still remember some events from my childhood that I can't forget. I was very shy student. I used to get frightened if somebody scolded me. Especially when teachers or my mother scolded a lot ,I felt very nervous. I could not speak with my friends in Marathi which is our mother tongue of Maharashtra. As my local language was  different. It is Ahirani. I could only speak that language and could never participated in the classroom . Later I developed speaking Marathi very well. I started to read marathi stories,novels ,watching films and practicing with my friends and neighbours. It worked a lot and I got success. Now I can deliver speeches even in Marathi. I have taught Marathi for 12 years at elementary level. i have read many books in Marathi. And I have been enjoying marathi literature and films. It gives me great joy.
English was very new for me ,as I took admission in 5th Std. We were introduced abcd and pictures.But I decided to learn to read and write in English. i had curiosity to know this foreign language.I used to memorize the spellings of difficult words. I would  read English words and find their meaning in Marathi. When i could understand the real meaning of the words, I became very happy. I used to read English lessons and then I tried to read Marathi translation from guide. Again I read the same text in English without looking into guide. This had developed my reading understanding. I loved to read. Now I 've been reading newspapers,novels,stories,textbooks and whatever come across which is in English. It has enriched my vocabulary.  Although I used marathi dictionary for the difficult words in my school days, I do not follow the same.Now I have started using English to English meaning. It helps wonderfully. I can understand the meaning of words when i use English to english Dictionary.
 I could not speak English at the early stage of my school days and even after joining service as a primary teacher. But I tried to answer in English. When  I was in 8 to 10th std,I  used to raise hand to give answers. I developed a lot to write very neatly and accurately in exams. I got 79 marks in 10th std in English. I was so happy that I fared well in English. Later the journey of my success in English subject, never stopped.
 It was my dream to write in English and be a fluent speaker in English. Now I am working on it. I have started to write blogs where I write my reflections when I visit schools or observe any classroom or any success story of my colleagues or my experience with English. British council has changed my attitude towards ELT. I want to learn more and more and want to keep up to date. For me learning is a lifelong journey. And I never want to stop this journey. This online course will give me a lot and certainly enrich me a lot.

Comments

Popular Posts